Although this post was originally on the blog for our TMU writers (way back in 2014!), I thought that I would share a few things that John Maxwell outlines in his book, “Today Matters.”
Mixed with Maxwell is a few other quotes that I found to be excellent!
*Anything without a name attached to the quote has been quoted by John Maxwell, himself
- Everybody thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. ~Leo Tolstoy
2. If you wish to travel far and light. Take off all your envies, jealousy, un-forgiveness, selfishness, and fears. ~Glenn Clark
3. Do Something everyday that you don’t want to do. ~Mark Twain
4. If you’re repeatedly experiencing failure but you want to fail forward, allow your mistakes to redirect you.
5. You can’t be “one of the boys” and follow your destiny at the same time.
6. Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better. ~Pat Riley
7. As you make decisions on the success journey, base them on potential not dollars.
8. You are able to beat the odds only if you have the discipline to keep going when others quit.
9. As you decide on a solution, always remember that people are your priority. Make your choices accordingly.
10. If you want to go far on the success journey, partner with others who know how to make things happen.
11. The reason so many people never get anywhere in life is because when opportunity knocks, they are out in the backyard looking for four-leaf clovers. ~Walter P. Chrysler
12. Nobody says that good decisions are always simple, but they are necessary for success.
13. People who reach their potential and fulfill their dreams determine and act on their priorities daily.
14. Experience isn’t always the best teacher, evaluated experience is.
15. Negative thinking and worry actually hinder the thinking process rather than improve it.
16. Excellence means doing your very best in everything, in every way. That kind of commitment will take you where half hearted people will never go.